Information on the the Emerging Regional Centres of Excellence (ERCE) programme is below.
The current ERCE centres are as follows.
- 2019-23: VIASM (Vietnam)
- 2022-25: AUST (Nigeria) I ZLAM (Senegal) I IMSP (Benin) I UCA (Morocco) I ITB (Indonesia) I INSPEM (Malaysia).
ERCE is a label of quality awarding those institutes that show an outstanding level in their own area of influence in research and education, being an attractor of students from other regions and countries. The label is granted for a period of 4 years with possibility of being renewed. The focus of this project is the education of students in the developed world to the Masters level and possibly PhD.
How to apply
If you would like your institution to be awarded the ERCE label, then please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Please include the name and location of the institution, academic affiliation, address and other relevant contact information. If a multi university center, clarify the institution’s position in the academic structure.
Your application must elaborate in detail on all the criteria for participation (see below) - but especially 4, 5, 7 and 8 - how and when these criteria can be met in the institution’s specific context. It’s helpful if you provide your research output in terms of publications for the last ten years.
The list of criteria for participation in this scheme are:
- The centre is of good scientific standing in the region and neighboring regions.
- It has a good track record both in research and in pedagogy.
- The centre has a fairly international outlook.
- The centre has good, reasonably guaranteed long-term prospects.
- The centre is willing to admit and educate graduate students from less developed regions. It should have the infrastructure to do so, e.g. the language of instruction should preferably be in one of English, French or Spanish.
- The degree aimed at is M.Sc., and Ph.D. in exceptional cases.
- The centre is willing to welcome well-established foreign visiting mathematicians for collaboration in research and for teaching graduate courses.
- The centre should assist smaller centres nearby - the label should have a positive effect not only for the selected institution, but more widely for the development of mathematics in the region.
Institutes matching all, or most, of these criteria are encouraged to apply.